Yet another mommy blogging about how cute her kids are.

WFMW – Homemade Hot Pack

by Toni

A couple of nights ago Will came to bed with a neckache.  I tried to massage out some of the knots but didn’t have much success.  What I needed was heat… something to loosen the muscles first.  I thought of the electric heat pad sold at our last garage sale (“We never use this!”)  I thought of various creams that might help.  Icy Hot (among others) came to mind but I quickly dismissed them each in turn.  Nothing like the smell of menthol to give you nightmares.  Hmm, what to do….?  I stumbled through the dark toward the kitchen to see what inspiration I could find there.  On the way, I was almost bowled over when a stray laundry basket attacked me out of nowhere.  (Okay, it didn’t really “attack” me.  It was sitting in the middle of the room waiting for someone to empty it of clean socks.  What?  You have this problem too, right?)  Anyway, I made it to the kitchen but there was no chocolate inspiration to be found until I opened up the “carb” cabinet.  “Noodles, beans, rice….. Hmm, rice.”  I snagged a package of brown rice, returned to the basket of unmatched socks and found a large one suited to the plan forming in my head.  Back in the kitchen once more I emptied the rice sack into the sock and sealed it with a hefty knot.  My creation went into the microwave for a minute or so and voila… homemade hot pack.  I suppose if one had a sewing machine or an inclination to sew, one could replace the knot with a neat seam or some pretty ribbon but for a late night, need it now solution this worked for me Will.

Skip on over to Shannon’s for more inspired ideas.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

10 Responses to “WFMW – Homemade Hot Pack”

1. Nikki says:

We have a bean sock. But you know, after many, many uses, it’s starting to smell really bean-like every time it’s heated up. I think I’ll follow your plan and switch to rice. Thanks!

***The heated rice did have a somewhat earthy fragrance but I rather liked it. ~Toni

2. Karen says:

Well, “they” say that necessity is the mother of invention…great idea! I’ll have to try it in a pinch!

3. Jamie says:

Thats a great tip!

4. Leslie says:

I’ll have to try this! Good idea.

5. Laane says:

Great idea!
    But uh… don’t you end up with popped rice?

***We didn’t seem too. ~Toni

6. Katie says:

Thanks much, this was very helpful. All the other things I’ve been finding on the web involve sewing and possibly buying nice fabric and essential oils at the store. I’m not feeling well enough to go to the store to buy a heating pad, forget feeling sell enough to sew, if I even have sewing needles and thread somewhere around here. Thanks again.

7. [...] fly, this DIY article will be of use to you.  And if you need an easy hot pack, this mom has the solution for you in an article on her “This Simple Life” [...]

8. Kaibnfixsa says:

młodzieżowe torebki torebki damskie puma torebki włoskie torebki damskie torebki papierowe torebki listonoszki

9. Hayden says:

Overall, Business Link seems very consumer
    friendly, with added information regarding Services not merely products being covered inside act, and giving the consumer tips on how to proceed inside a situation and
    what needs to be covered by the retailer in terms to a
    product going wrong. According to Alexandra Juhasz, professor of media
    studies at California’s Pitzer College and one of the course facilitators, approximately 300 students
    have signed up for the course, which falls underneath the Fem – Tech – Net rubric ‘Dialogues on
    Feminism and Technology. In addition, Wikipedia can be very helpful any moment that the student encounters a
    phrase, name, or any other little bit of information
    that’s unfamiliar.